Thursday, November 17, 2011

My Writing

I write to remember. I might not record the events of my life or my feelings, but what I do write is there to remind me.

Most of the time I write lyrics or song names. When I look back at these pages, I am reminded of the times when they were written. Maybe a certain song had special significance to me at that time. Maybe a certain band was then the soundtrack of my life. Maybe the way I arranged the words on the page meant something.

Other times I write stories about my dreams. I keep them to look back on and sometimes to analyze. Sometimes the dreams directly relate to what was going on in my life at the time. Other times it's hard to tell what they might be about.

Less often I write small records of the events in my life. I only do this on occasion, but they really do help me remember what was important to me.

Many of my writings are in code. When I was in fifth grade, I made up my first code language. I've been using that and other codes ever since to keep my thoughts hidden in plain sight. Only few people know how to decode these writings, and that's just how I prefer to keep it.

My writings are for me. They are there to remind me of myself: who I have been, who I have wanted to be, what I have cared about, who I have cared about, and whatever I wanted to remind myself of.

2 comments:

  1. Glenn, that's so cool that you have your own coded language that you write in! I completely understand what you are talking about though. I don't write down what songs or lyrics relate to my life, but I do listen to music that fits a situation that I am going through. I also think it is really cool that you do this to help you remind you of yourself...that is a really cool way to capture the past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Halle, and I think that it's really neat that you write in code. I wish I had the patience to do that! Also, I find it interesting that you write down songs and lyrics. I can relate because the all of the lyrics of the songs that I listen to are significant to me in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete